The Best of California
The Best of California
Monterey County highlights everything that's best about California. From Monterey Peninsula's seaside restaurants to the Salinas Valley's hillside vineyards, from Big Sur's redwood groves to Pebble Beach's perfectly groomed golf courses, from Salinas' old-fashioned rodeo to Carmel-By-The-Sea's elite music and art festivals all surrounding the quaint charm of America’s Last Hometown, Pacific Grove, Monterey County has a feast of fun just waiting to be sampled.
Monterey County offers iconic California experiences. Take a drive down Highway One, winding along the breathtaking Big Sur coastline, and experience the top road trip in the United States. Sip handcrafted wines at tucked-away tasting rooms where the winemaker might just be the person pouring. Take a surfing lesson – and catch a glimpse of a barefoot beach wedding as you ride your board to shore. Play eighteen holes at legendary golf courses or just hang out at the nineteenth hole and watch the pros practice. Monterey County is your destination for a perfect California vacation.
Travelling to Asilomar and the Monterey Peninsula does not require too much planning and preparation. In fact, many visitors decide to come at the very last minute. The most important thing is to build in enough time during your trip for local exploration once you are here.
While on the grounds at Asilomar, the 107 acres of California State Park and State Beach property provide ample opportunity for leisurely strolls through the dunes, ambitious runs along the beach or a relaxing dip in the heated pool. Asilomar is best enjoyed as a place to meet for a common purpose, a place to reconnect with friends and family and a place for personal reflection amid quiet solitude. In all cases, Asilomar guests leave inspired and wanting to return.
Venture off grounds and discover endless venues for exploration, education and enjoyment. Monterey County is flush with attractions and activities throughout the year, below are just to name a few;
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Old Fisherman’s Wharf
- Historic Cannery Row
- 17-Mile Drive in Pebble Beach
- Scenic Drive south to Big Sur
- Music Festivals
- Auto and Motorcycle Racing
- Antique Car Auctions
- Gourmet Food and Wine Events
Casual attire is always appropriate. At Asilomar, “formal” simply means that you wear socks and your best pair of khakis. We always recommend dressing in layers, which can be easily added or removed as you travel through the myriad microclimates found on the Monterey Peninsula. A jacket or sweater is never without use, and if you are planning to spend time at the beach or on the golf course, a few dabs of sunscreen are also recommended.
Asilomar State Beach and Conference Grounds is a tranquil oceanfront retreat cradled by pine forests and white-sand beaches within the cozy confines of a 107-acre California State Park. Situated within the quaint and scenic town of Pacific Grove, Asilomar offers guests the simple comforts of cozy cottages and rustic lodges - and an unforgettable escape from the demands of everyday life. Take a deep breath and settle in for a time of serene relaxation, reflection and rejuvenation.
- Visit Monterey County and see the amazing Monterey Bay Aquarium, as well as Old Fisherman's Wharf and Historic Cannery Row, made legendary by famous Salinas writer John Steinbeck.
- Experience the world-class golf courses of Pebble Beach.
- Take a California wine country vacation in Carmel Valley, Soledad or Salinas Valley, or go art gallery hopping in beautiful Carmel-by-the-Sea or buzzing Sand City.
- For an outdoor experience, hike the wild trails of Big Sur, go surfing at Asilomar State Beach, or watch the hang gliders in Marina and Seaside.
- Dine in centrally located Pacific Grove, and relax in an old-fashioned, seaside home town among the Victorian cottages and Monarch butterflies of Pacific Grove.
Monterey County is your destination for a perfect California vacation.