6 Tips for Green Meetings
At Asilomar Conference Grounds we’re committed to green business practices in all facets of our operation. Here are some considerations for meeting planners and event planners when selecting a green meeting venue:
- Certified Green Business - does the meeting venue hold an ISO 14001:2004 environmental certification? This shows a facility’s strong commitment to sustainability efforts and green practices.
- What is the property doing to conserve energy? For example, at Asilomar our entire property uses CFL fixtures or is upgrading to LED lighting. We have also installed occupancy sensors around the property.
- How aggressive is the property with regards to saving water? In areas such as California, it is key. As Asilomar Conference Grounds, we use large containers for drinking water for conference attendees rather than individual bottles. We encourage the use of reusable bottles and our water fountains are filtered for refilling.
- Are there composting and recycle bins around property and in the rooms? Are the restaurants on property composting? At Asilomar, both are in place.
- Green properties should use biodegradable and nontoxic cleaning products. Cloth napkins should be used as opposed to paper. Marketing collateral that must be printed should be printed on 100 percent FSC certified and recycled paper stock along with vegetable-based inks. Asilomar follows these protocols along with many others including not accepting containers or packaging materials made from Styrofoam.
- The restaurant should have a plan in place to offer sustainable meals. This means sourcing ingredients from local farmers and vendors. Is the property participating in local sustainable food initiatives like State of California’s Health Foods Initiative or Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program? Do they strive to use local and organic ingredients whenever possible? At Asilomar, we stand by our commitment to provide healthy and sustainable meals.